If you are a hardcore gamer, you would know the troubles of gaming on the laptop or your PC. If you are a Windows 10 user you would realize that gaming requires you to tweak your computer a bit to get the best gaming experience. And you need to learn how to optimize Windows 10 for gaming.
There must be lesser lags and precision in using the game on your PC. Most users already do these hacks on their Windows 10 computers to optimize the gaming performance. The new users or the users who have new software installed must certainly follow all the steps given below to optimize your PC. Those who have already done certain hacks can skip those and do the remaining to experience the best gaming on Windows 10.
Steps to Optimize Windows 10 for Gaming
Follow the steps below to tweak your Windows 10 for better performance.
Tip: You are recommended to restart your PC once each tweak is being done, I, however, do not recommend you to complete all steps and restart together. This could prove problematic.
1. Delete Old Files and Applications
This is the simplest technique to optimize your Windows 10 OS. You can install a cleaning application which will get rid of the old and unused files and folders from your computer.
If you have way too many files and documents on your computer, which prevents you from gaming then I recommend you store it externally. There are various external storage options like USB, hard drive or even store it on the cloud.
If any data loss happens on your computer/laptop, do not panic. All you have to do is stop using your computer so that the lost files won’t be overwritten by newly created files, then try Jihosoft File Recovery! This is your best chance to recover data from Windows 10.
If you need backup, make sure you do have it and try to do away with unwanted documents, music and so on. This is the most essential because remember ‘more space, more the game.’
By doing this method not only will your machine speed up but will give you a smoother gaming experience. Another important aspect to notice while you delete is to delete permanently and not just into the recycle bin.
To remove an old application you must follow the basic uninstalling steps: Go to the Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall A Program.
From here choose the unnecessary applications and uninstall it from your system for good. For better result scan for the unused or useless applications and uninstall as necessary.
You can also go to the START option and right click on the application you do not require and click on Uninstall. After uninstallation, it is better that you reboot your system after all the uninstalling process is complete.
Note: Some applications may prompt you to reboot as soon as you uninstall. You must comply as said.
2. Disable “Nagle’s Algorithm”
The Nagle’s Algorithm bundles the data packets to give you an unsmooth internet. Most computers have Nagle’s Algorithm enabled to save on the internet. This can prove as a vice to your online gaming experience.
The steps to disable the Nagle’s Algorithm are mentioned below:
- Type “regedit” in the Start option.
- This will open up your Registry Editor.
- Click on the drop-down menu and continue to do so until you reach the below address HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > Tcpip > Parameters > Interface
- Under the interface drop down you will find folders comprising of numbers and alphabets.
- Now match the file names with your IP address. Make sure it matches to the point (you can check your IP address by going to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Centre > Connections > Details > IPv4 Address)
- Once the right folder is found right click on the Folder>New> DWORD(32 bit) Value.
- Create two DWORD values in the name of TcpAckFrequencyand the other TCPNoDelay.
- Double click on each and set the parameters under Value Data to 1.
- Now you have disabled Nagle’s Algorithm. If you encounter any problem change these values to 0 and they will be disabled.
3. Latest Update & Disable Automatic Updates
You must make sure that you are using the updated version of the software and all the systems are updated. We must not give any kind of opportunity for the game to lose out and lag because of old versions. Once this is done it is essential that you turn off automatic updates.
You are completely aware that when Windows updates automatically it takes a lot of time and this could cause lagging of your game. At some given times the Windows Update could schedule an automatic reboot, you certainly don’t want to be caught off guard.
These methods could speed up your machine as well as provide you with a better network connectivity limiting the background data usage.
The steps to disable automatic update are mentioned below:
- Type Update under the START option from the desktop.
- Click on Check for Updates and go to the Advanced Options.
- Then click Choose how updates are installed.
- Click on the Notify to schedule restart option.
- This will prevent Windows from restarting automatically after an update.
- Next, click Choose how updates are delivered.
- Turn the updates from more than one place to off.
- This will prevent from needless background updating.
4. Fine Tune Visual Effects
If you have used Windows 10 you must be familiar that the graphical interface of this software is impressive. It is a really high end and there are a lot of resources at stake.
Now, there are various effects that the OS displays that are not really necessary. It is good for the eyes but it takes a toll on your gaming experience. So to keep up with the power of gaming you must turn these effects off. Not all though, just the unnecessary ones.
The steps to turn off these effects are given below:
- Go to the Control Panel from the START menu.
- Click on System and go to Advanced System Settings.
- Go to the Advanced tab and click on Settings.
- Go to Performance Settings and go to Visual Effects.
- Out of the options available, select Adjust for Best performance and click on Apply.
Note: This might require you to reboot your system.
5. Prevent Steam from Updating Games
If you are used to playing Windows play games then you are familiar with the concept of Steam. Steam is, in fact, a brilliant application but in some instances, it could start eating up your memory. There may be various games that you do not use and you never want to update them. One of Steam’s features is to update automatically and this could reduce your space even without you realizing it.
The steps to prevent Steam from updating automatically are mentioned below:
- Access the Steam client access the update options.
- Go to Settings and head to Downloads.
- Uncheck the option which says ‘Allow downloads during gameplay‘.
- This will prevent Steam from updating while you are in the middle of a game.
- To prevent Steam from downloading updates for widely unused applications, you must right click on each of the installed games in the library.
- Select properties from the options given to you.
- Under Automatic Updates change the status of ‘Always keep this game up to date‘ to ‘Only update this game when i launch it‘.
- This will reduce the unwanted updates.
6. Set Your Power Plan
The power setting might come out as the most negligible feature in adjusting the capacity of the PC.
However, it must be noted that you are using this for a long time and it could affect adversely. There are multiple views to this option but you can decide by trying it out on your own PC.
The steps to follow this are given below:
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Click on the option of System and Security.
- Access the Power Options and go to High Performance from the options available.
- The recommended option is balanced but you can always change it back after the game is done.
7. Keep Your Drivers Up To Date
You always need the latest drivers for your GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) to function properly. The GPU is the core of your PC gaming and it requires the best only. This will make it work faster and better. All graphics cards, irrespective of whether they are old or new benefit from continually updated drivers.
The steps to check the GPU name and specifications are mentioned below:
- On the Desktop, right-click.
- Go to Display Settings and select the Advanced Display Settings.
- Click on Display Adapter Properties.
- You can either update directly, by clicking on Properties > Driver > Update Driver or visit the manufacturer’s website to ensure the drivers are up to date.
- There are options from the manufacturers to update software automatically and that too for free.
8. Get DirectX 12
DirectX 12 is the latest version of Microsoft’s popular API tool, this is the biggest step towards PC gaming.
You must have the latest version to avail features like support for multiple GPU and CPU cores, better frame rates, lower power consumption and enhanced graphical effects.
These are the steps to check the latest version of the DirectX:
- Go to the RUN option in the START menu.
- Type ‘dxdiag‘.
- From the options available go to DirectX Version.
- If for any reason you do not find the DirectX version or do not have it installed then run a simple software update.
- Go to the START menu and click on Updates.
- Check for any new updates by clicking on it.
- And update it as it will directly download into your PC. If you have not officially downloaded it there is no stand-alone package for the DirectX 12 as of now.
9. Disk Cleanup and Optimization
You must remove all the temporary files and installations files from your hardware and you must try to manually optimize it, although it is done automatically.
The manual update is necessary because you have already made various tweaks and it is necessary you check for yourself.
The steps for Disk Cleanup and Optimization mentioned below:
- First, you must go to the RUN option from the START menu.
- Type ‘cleanmgr‘ and press Enter.
- A dialog box will open up. Go through it and find the section that you want to clean up.
- Once you have selected all the files click on the Clean Up System File button.
- This will take you to a new section that will let you clean older versions.
- This will also allow you to update files that are left post installation.
- Clean up your system.
- Now for the optimization, you must go to Settings in the START menu.
- In the Search Box type ‘defrag‘.
- A series of options will be displayed, focus on the C Drive where the games are installed.
- Highlight C Drive and click on Optimize and Repeat.
- It will take some time depending on the size.
- This will optimize your disk as well.
10. Install Free Gaming Boost Software
You could try installing completely free software to boost your game. This could be a very powerful game optimization application.
This is completely simple and easy to use. A good option would be Wise Game Booster.
There are many other options that are available to you. It could free up the memory, tune up the network and top up the performance of your game.
It is completely light on the system as well as system resources.
All you have to do is insert the desired games into software and use it. It is that simple and works perfectly fine.
This was a list of a few tweaks for a better gaming performance. It’s not necessary that these are the only ways, you could as well find a number of other ways. If you are playing video games on laptops and notebooks then you need to choose the best gaming laptop for that.
Go try it out yourself and have fun gaming!
Jihosoft Android Data Recovery: the best Android Data Recovery software for Windows and Mac to recover deleted contacts, messages, photos, videos, WhatsApp and etc from Android devices.
Photo recovery free photo recovery 100% free to restore deleted/formatted/lost pictures in just three steps Photo recovery
Any app suggestions or topic recommendations are appreciated in the comments down below.