Now that the iOS 12 (public beta) is available with the latest features and smooth functionality, there is no point in stagnating yourself in old iOS versions. As you may know, Apple releases timely updates to their operating systems and iOS 12 is their latest version (which is available as a public beta version as of this writing). After an iOS update, you will be able to enjoy seamless functionality and better security on your iDevice.
However, as a smart iOS device user, you should back up your iPhone before the update takes place. Although it sounds like a no-brainer, a surprising number of iDevice users don’t back up iPhones before an update. The consequences of disregarding the importance of backup can be pretty devastating.
The purpose of this article is to explain the importance of creating a backup before upgrading to iOS 12 and the freeways to do it.
Part 1: Do I Need to Backup iPhone before Updating to iOS 12?
Many novice iPhone users often asked, “why do I need to back up my iPhone before updating to iOS 12?”. Here’s why you should do it.
- Due to a failed iOS upgrade, your files can be gone forever.
- You may accidentally delete some files before an iOS update.
- iOS 12 is still available as a public beta and there may be the slightest chance for it to make your device unstable (it is a very rare instance though).
- Our general advice is that it is better to be safe than sorry.
Part 2: 3 Free Ways to Make a Backup for iPhone before Updating to iOS 12
As we mentioned before at the beginning, we are going to explain 3 free ways to back up the iPhone before the update. From this point onwards, we explain those free methods for you to try.
- Way 1: Backup iPhone Xs/Xs Max/Xr/X/8/7/6/5 Free before Updating to iOS 12 with iTunes
- Way 2: Backup iPhone Xs/Xs Max/Xr/X/8/7/6/5 Free before Updating to iOS 12 with iCloud
- Way 3: Backup iPhone Xs/Xs Max/Xr/X/8/7/6/5 Free before Updating to iOS 12 with Backup Tool
Way 1: Backup iPhone Xs/Xs Max/Xr/X/8/7/6/5 Free before Updating to iOS 12 with iTunes
As the first free method, we explain how to back up iPhone using iTunes (which is a tool offered by Apple itself).
- Launch iTunes and get the device connected to the same computer.
- If prompted, you should provide the device’s passcode. If the process asks you to Trust This Computer, just follow the steps displayed on the screen.
- When iTunes asks, you should select the iOS device (iPhone, iPod, or iPad) you are using.
- Now, click on the option called Backup Now in order to create the backup.
- At the end of the process, you will be notified with a message on Summary Screen.
Advantages and Disadvantages of iTunes backup
Advantages of iTunes
- It is a free service offered by Apple itself
- Comes as a trusted service offered by Apple
- It doesn’t require an internet connection to create backups
Disadvantages of iTunes
- It takes a lot of disk space
- You cannot restore selective backups with iTunes
- When restoring, iTunes overwrites the existing backups
Way 2: Backup iPhone Xs/Xs Max/Xr/X/8/7/6/5 Free before Updating to iOS 12 with iCloud
iCloud is another tool (service) offered by Apple itself in order to address a large range of issues. Since it is a built-in feature, many individuals tend to use iCloud with more confidence. Moreover, this respective method is compatible with all the iOS devices you use. Now, let’s take a look at how to back up your iPhone before updating using iCloud.
- As the first step, you should connect your device to a Wi-Fi network (many users consider it a disadvantage though).
- Now, tap on Settings, your name, and select the iCloud option. However, if you use an older version (10.2 or earlier) you should Select the Settings option and scroll down to find the iCloud option.
- Now, select the option called iCloud Backup. If it is an older version, simply select Backup. Be sure that iCloud backup is enabled. Jihosoft Photo Eraser
- Now, you should select the option called Back Up Now. Be sure that your device is connected to the Wi-Fi network until you get the backup done. The progress of the process can be monitored and Confirmed at the completion of the backup. To check it, you should tap on Settings, your name, and iCloud. Under iCloud Backup, you will be able to see the option called Back Up Now. Check the date and time of the last backup.
Note: Create an automatic backup using iCloud
You can even consider creating an automatic backup with iCloud. This option will create a daily backup automatically. Here’s how to do it: Go to Settings -> select your name -> iCloud and then select iCloud Backup. Then, turn the iCloud backup on.
Advantages and Disadvantages of iCloud backup
Advantages of iCloud
- It is a trusted service offered by Apple itself
- It can back up any data
- Easy-to-use a method
Disadvantages of iCloud
- The free storage is limited to 5 GB (thereafter, you should subscribe to this service)
- It cannot create selective backups
- The backup solely depends on the Wi-Fi connection
Quickly create powerful videos for ads, promos, YouTube, intros, and more from our library of 5000+ customizable templates.
Convert text to video, 50+ AI-powered themes to choose from, created to convert text-based content to videos in just 3 simple steps.
With InVideo, everyone can create great-looking pro videos that engage better, deliver more leads and save time. Our library of 5000+ templates, transitions, and effects is here to help you create videos easily, quickly, and efficiently. No download required. Get Started For Free!